At the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman, we aim to ease your fears surrounding weight loss surgery. Our dedicated program includes a specially trained team of professionals who will work closely with you and your primary care physician to create a personalized plan that promotes your physical and emotional well-being.
Step 1: Attend Our Free “Understanding Surgical Weight Loss” Seminar
It is necessary to attend one of our free educational seminars to help you determine if weight loss surgery is right for you. The interactive session with the surgeon and members of the bariatric team includes discussion about the program, also questions and answers regarding care and the insurance process.
In person: Register online or call 1-888-995-6762 (888-99LNRMC) to reserve your spot. Space is limited.
Online: Convenient if you live outside Mooresville. To gain access to our online seminar presentation, please follow this Free Online Seminar link and complete the demographic form. Once you have viewed the presentation, you will be able to print a certificate of completion which you will need to present to the office staff at your first visit. It is important that you complete all information so that we can verify your insurance benefits to ensure that your policy covers bariatric surgery. The online seminar is pre-recorded and can be viewed at any time.
Step 2: Call Your Insurance Company
Check to make sure weight loss surgery is covered by your plan. Criteria for coverage will vary among insurance companies. Below are some questions you may ask your insurance company to determine eligibility.
- Is weight loss surgery covered under my insurance plan?
- Which of these operation codes are covered: Adjustable Gastric Band 43770, Verical Sleeve Gastrectomy 43775, Gastric Bypass 43644?
- Do I need to complete a medically supervised diet? If yes, for how long?
Step 3: Meet with the Surgeon
After attending a seminar and deciding that this is something you would like to pursue, please call the office to schedule an appointment with the surgeon. During the consultation, the doctor will have an opportunity to go through your medical history, decide which surgery is best for you and discuss your desires and expectations regarding weight loss surgery.
Step 4: Attend Consultations
To meet established guidelines for weight loss surgery, consultations with a registered dietician, a physical therapist and a behavioral health specialist are required. These consultations will help to prepare you for the rigors of weight loss surgery. Other consultations may be deemed necessary by the surgeon based on your medical history.
To schedule your consultations, please call 1-888-995-6762 (888-99LNRMC).
Step 5: Pre-operative Appointments
You are moving forward with surgery and to prepare you for your new beginning, will need to attend the following appointments:
- Support Group – Meets the third Wednesday of every month and gives you an opportunity to network with both pre- and post-surgical clients.
- Financial Counseling – To review any expenses that may be incurred.
- Workshop – Pre-operative education with the program’s Registered Nurse and Registered Dietitian.
- Pre-operative Testing – To complete necessary laboratory and diagnostic testing, as well as meet with a member of the anesthesia team.
For your first appointment, please bring:
- Completed New Patient Forms
- Release of Medical Records – To have records sent from our office to another physician/practice, print forms, complete and fax or bring them to our office.
- Notice of Privacy Practices – Please be advised of how medical information may be used by reviewing the privacy practices notice. You will be asked to sign an acknowledgement that you have read the notice.
- Medical Information: Please bring copies of any letters or medical records from other health care providers. Medical records for the past 5 years are necessary to file for insurance and to give the doctors a complete medical history.
- Physician Recommendation: If filing for insurance, please provide a written recommendation for weight-loss surgery from your primary care physician.
- Diet / Weight-Loss Info: Any documentation proving you participated in any diet / weight loss attempts. (This includes office notes, receipts or prescriptions.)
- Insurance card
- Driver’s License
- Physician Referral: If your insurance plan requires a referral for this consultation, please contact your primary care physician and have one faxed to our office fax at (704) 660-4967 before your appointment.